The history of Malakoff Independent School District began in 1881 as a one-room building which was typical for rural schools. In 1894, a two-story frame building was erected on North College Street and was used as a grammar school. In 1914, a brick building consisting of six rooms was constructed. Then in 1922, a wing was added which provided for four additional classrooms.
The historic Malakoff Elementary campus, more commonly known as the “Rock Building” or the “Old Rock School,” is made of brown fieldstone and supported by concrete beams, the Rock Building was constructed in 1940 as part of the federal Works Projects Administration (WPA), known earlier as the Works Progress Administration. WPA was enacted in 1935 under President Franklin Roosevelt to provide jobs for the unemployed during the Great Depression.
In 1945, the Toole community consolidated with the Malakoff School District.
The original building of the Malakoff High School was built in 1927. The school burned down in 1940. The classes were held anywhere there was a vacant room, building or church in Malakoff. During the year of 1941, a number of buildings were constructed and used on the elementary campus, so that the entire school system was attending at the same location. In 1942, a high school building had a grand opening which included a gymnasium with a lighted football field.
Shortly thereafter, Malakoff School System purchased three surplus army barracks, enough lumber was salvaged to build a three room addition which was the Home Making Cottage, a combination shop and agriculture building and a band hall.
photograph courtesy of Betty Allen