About our Local Community
The town of Malakoff is best known as the Gateway to Cedar Creek Lake. Malakoff is located at the southern end, just two miles from Cedar Creek Lake which is the fourth largest lake in Texas. Malakoff is at the junction of State Highway 31 and 198 and Farm Roads 2636, 3062, and 3441, ten miles west of Athens in western Henderson County.
The Community is named after a Russian fort of Malakoff (Malakov kurgan), which played a pivotal role during the siege of Sevastopol during the Crimean War.
The community was formerly known as “Caney Creek” and “Mitchum Chapel”. An application for a named post office in 1854 under “Purdam” or “Mitcham” resulted in the current name, due to the other names being already in use.
- With the discovery of lignite coal, Malakoff was known as the Lignite City in the 1920's.
- Quarry workers discovered the Malakoff heads in Trinity River gravel bottom deposits which later became known as the "Malakoff Man" in the 1920s and 1930s. The "Malakoff Man" hand carved stone heads deemed by scientists to be approximately 30,000 years old have been placed in museums around State of Texas.
- One of the seven sites in all the Americas where evidence exists of ancient tribes residing on the Trinity River banks, who could have observed the herds of camels, mastodons and giant sloths that roamed the plains.