Malakoff Independent School District Plan for Local Control
In 2015, the 84th Legislature passed HB 1842, which included provisions to allow Texas school districts who are in good academic standing (rated at least “Met Standard” by the Texas Accountability System) to become Districts of Innovation (DOI). Under a DOI plan, a traditional school district may access many of the flexibilities that are available to open-enrollment charter schools in Texas.
On April 17, 2017, the Board of Trustees of the Malakoff Independent School District adopted a resolution to direct the administration of MISD to explore the opportunity to designate itself a District of Innovation. The Board then held a public hearing on the topic and later voted to pursue a District of Innovation designation. The board also approved a DOI Planning Committee.
The DOI planning Committee included representatives from all aspects of MISD operations and the local community. The Committee began its work on April 26, 2017 and studied several “innovations” that could potentially be included in the plan.
After studying potential innovations, the committee identified and voted to include the following areas as innovations in the District of Innovation Plan:
- Flexible School Calendar
- Alternatives to Educator Certification
- Class Size Flexibility
- Teacher Contract Days
- Extension of Probationary Contracts for New Employees.
The Committee met again on May 8, 2017 and reviewed a draft of the plan for final approval before public viewing on the Malakoff ISD Website. That plan can be seen here.
The goal of the Malakoff ISD District of Innovation Plan is to enhance local control and give the district greater flexibility to implement strategies and innovation that support the Board’s mission, vision and goals, based on community and internal stakeholder input.
- Tuesday, April 11, 2017 - Initial meeting with MISD Administrative Staff to discuss preliminary thoughts and discuss possible members of the District of Innovation Committee.
- Monday, April 17, 2017 - School Board Meeting - The Board of Trustees approves a resolution to hold a public hearing to discuss the possibility of using HB 1842 to become a District of Innovation.
- Monday, April 17, 2017 - The school board held a public hearing to explain and discuss the possibility of becoming a District of Innovation.
- Monday, April 17, 2017 - The Malakoff ISD Board of Trustees approves a motion to pursue a District of Innovation Plan. The board also approved the members for the District of Innovation Committee.
- Wednesday, April 26, 2017 and Monday, May 8, 2017 - The District of Innovation Committee met to begin discussions and then to finalize a District of Innovation Plan. On May 9th, the committee voted on a plan to present to the District Wide Improvement Team on May 23, 2017. The meeting agendas and minutes are posted on this website.
- Tuesday, May 9, 2017 - The district plan was posted on the MISD Website.